Sunday, August 28, 2011

Easy Tomato Basil Sauce

So my tomatoes are starting to roll in. Which is great. They started to ripen a bit late this year so I was a little worried. While I love homemade tomato sauce canning isn't something I enjoy doing, so here is a quick and easy way to make a delicious freezer-friendly sauce.

What you need-
14-16 tomatoes
about 1/2 cup fresh cut basil
1t balsamic vinegar
1t salt
garlic....I think the more the merrier!
1 - 2T of Italian Seasoning (or a mix of oregano, thyme, parsley)

parchment/waxed paper
first - take your tomatoes, clean them off and put an X in the bottom.


Preheat your oven to 375 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper of waxed paper. If you only have waxed paper that's okay, it will just stick a bit to your pan. Let them roast for about 20 minutes. Take them out & let them cool until you can handle them.

Once cooled peel the skins off & core them, do this over a bowl so any juice is kept. Once all of the tomatoes are peeled/cored you need to squish/cut them all up in your bowl.

When they are all cut up add all of the other ingredients & mix well.
Pour the sauce into clean jars/containers and pop them into the freezer for up to 6 months.

I ended up with several jars today, I put 1 right into the fridge to use for tomorrow's eggplant Parmesan! There is the eggplant I just picked too.


Even after all of the sauce was made, I whipped up some fresh salsa and still have enough left for tomato pie.....that recipe will be posted once I make it - it's from my dad & SO good!
here is the salsa - that one is usually whatever I happen to have around kind of thing....this week it was tomatoes, chives, jalapeno, green/purple bell peppers and come dried cayanne peper & cumin

No comments: